Is there a cost to use the service?
In October 2018 we announced paid plans to allow us to continue to develop, support and
maintain the application ongoing. These plans came into effect on December 1, 2018.
Depending on your usage, you may be required to pay to use the service. Refer to our
page for further information.
Can the requestor, recipients, or others be notified when the workflow is complete?
- To notify the requestor, enable 'Collect email addresses' in your Google Form
- To notify recipients, enable 'Notify recipients when complete' within the
'Settings' tab of the add-on. This will notify all recipients when the workflow is
complete (i.e approved by all recipients).
- To notify others, simply add a new 'Recipient' with the role type 'Receives a
Copy' as the last level of the workflow. For example, if you have a
sequential workflow set up with two recipients, add a third recipient (at level 3)
with role type 'Receives a Copy'.
As usual, this recipient can be a Static or Dynamic
recipient. Learn more about adding
recipients and recipient role
What is the difference between the administrator, requestors and recipients?
With our application, we classify three types of users:
- The administrator is the person who sets up the workflow and application settings.
- The requestor is the person completing the form submission (initiating the request).
- The recipient is the person receiving and responding to the request.
The recipient may have one of the following roles: 'Needs to Approve', 'Needs to
Recommend', 'Needs to Acknowledge', 'Needs to Edit' or 'Receives a Copy'. Learn
recipient role types.
Does a recipient need a Google account?
Recipients are not required to have a Google account, nor are they required to
install anything. Each time a submission is made on your form, an email is sent to
your recipients with a unique link to respond directly from their email without
having to log in.
In addition, unlike other add-ons, recipients are not required to have access
to your Google Form or linked Google Sheet.
How many recipients can I have?
You may have up to 10 static or dynamic recipients.
Note, the add-on has the capability to include dynamic
recipients which are selected by the requestor.
For example, you may have a question in your form that asks the requestor
to select the approver (from a dropdown list) or enter the
approver's email address (via a free text field).
This will be considered 1 recipient. If you find yourself needing more than 10 recipients,
you will need to use Dynamic or Group recipients.
Learn more about adding dynamic or group recipients
How do I change the add-on administrator?
To change the add-on administrator:
- Sign out of all Google accounts
- Sign back in with the original account that set up the add-on
- Open the add-on
- Go to Settings > Account > then toggle the add-on OFF
- Sign out of your Google account
- Sign in with new account that you want it to run from
- Go to Settings > Account > then toggle the add-on ON
Note, if you are changing the add-on administrator to another account you own, you must
sign out of your Google accounts and sign back in (as described above) or the
add-on will run from both accounts.
You will also need to ensure the new add-on administrator account has owner level access
to the Google Form, linked spreadsheet, file upload folder (if applicable),
dynamic recipient look-up table spreadsheet (if applicable) and Google Contacts Groups
(if applicable). If you no longer have access to the original account, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
You may change the add-on administrator at most once every 6 weeks.
What notification emails are
sent by the add-on?
- Requestor Notification - If 'Collect email addresses' is enabled in your Google
Form settings, the person submitting the request will
receive a notification confirming receipt of their request.
- Recipient Notification - each time a form submission is made, the first recipient(s)
will receive a notification with details of the request and links to action the
request. Once they have responded, a notification will be sent to the second
recipient (if any), and so on.
- Approved / Declined / More Info Required / Cancelled - These notifications state the
outcome of the request and are sent to the requestor if 'Collect email addresses'
is enabled in your Google Form settings. These notifications will also be sent to
recipients with role 'Receives a Copy' if they are in the final position
of the workflow. See FAQ 'Can the requestor, recipients, or others be
notified when the workflow is complete?' for more information.
Can the language and timezone be changed?
The language and timezone is taken from the settings of the spreadsheet
your Google Form.
Should you wish to change the language (locale) or timezone refer to this Google
Can approvers or respondents
edit a form submission?
Yes, the add-on
administrator can enable two settings which will enable
- To include an 'Edit response' link on the 'Requestor Notification'
sent to requestors, enable 'Edit
after submit' (in your Google Form settings) and then re-save your settings within
the add-on for it to take effect.
- To include an 'Edit response' link on the email notification sent to recipients,
within the add-on, under 'other recipient settings', set the role of a recipient to
'Needs to Edit'.
How does the add-on treat edited form submissions?
The add-on treats edited form submissions in
the following ways:
- When the form response is edited by the requestor, the workflow will re-commence
beginning. The request number will be the same, and will also include
a revision number.
- When the form response is edited by a recipient (with role Needs to Edit), the workflow will advance to the
next level (if applicable).
I am receiving an error message or the add-on is not sending notifications to recipients.
Refer to our troubleshooting
support article for
guidance on how to avoid the following known errors and how to troubleshoot reasons why the add-on may not be
sending notifications to your recipients.
Known errors include:
- There was a problem: The add-on does not have sufficient authorization to run
- ScriptError: Authorization is required to perform that action
- Error: Unable to authenticate when signed into multiple Google accounts.
Can I use the add-on if my organisation is on Microsoft Exchange / Office 365?
Absolutely. Though, we recommend the add-on administrator sets up the add-on using a Google
account that has Google Mail enabled. Should you use an account that does not have
Google Mail enabled, you will be required to purchase the Mail option
(send emails from the formapprovals.com domain) when subscribing to one of our paid plans.
If you experience emails that are being bounced or rejected as spam,