Frequently asked questions
How do I get started?
We have put together a short checklist to help you get started:
Decide which Google account you want the add-on to run from (it can be a personal account or a shared account). Emails will be sent from this account.
Install the add-on on the account you want it to run from, then open the add-on.
Add recipients to your workflow. You will notice we now refer to approvers as 'recipients' since you can change the role type of a recipient.
Set the receiving order of your workflow. This allows you to create multi-level workflows, so recipients are notified in the sequence you specify.
There are some other cool things to know, like how to add recipient logic, or how to track requests (as a requestor, recipient or admin) or how to personalize notifications. If you get stuck with anything, review the rest of our FAQ questions below and check out our troubleshooting guide.
How do I purchase a subscription?
To purchase a subscription, open the add-on, go to the Settings tab, then Account tab, then click the yellow Purchase a subscription button.
For other subscription related questions, please refer to the frequently asked questions at the bottom of our pricing page or email our friendly support team at email@example.com
How do I notify users when the workflow is complete?
- To notify the requestor when the workflow is complete (i.e approved by all recipients) or ends early (i.e is declined, cancelled or more info is requested), enable 'Collect email addresses' in your Google Form settings.
- To notify recipients when the workflow is complete (i.e approved by all recipients), enable 'Notify recipients when complete' within the 'Settings' tab of the add-on.
- To notify recipients when the workflow ends early (i.e is declined, cancelled or more info is requested), enable 'Notify recipients when ends early' within the 'Settings' tab of the add-on. This will notify recipients that have already responded and recipients with role type Receives a Copy.
- To notify specific recipients when the workflow is complete (i.e approved by all recipients), add a new recipient, then change the role type to 'Receives a Copy', then set the receiving order to the last level of the workflow. For example, if you have a workflow already set up with one recipient, set the receiving order so that the new recipient has a receiving order of 2.
What is the difference between a requestor and recipient?
Within our documentation, we refer to 'requestor' and 'recipient' quite often:
- The requestor is the person completing the form submission (initiating the request).
- The recipient is the person receiving and responding to the request. The recipient may have one of the following roles: 'Needs to Approve', 'Needs to Recommend', 'Needs to Acknowledge', 'Needs to Action', 'Needs to Edit' or 'Receives a Copy'. Learn more about recipient role types.
Does a recipient need a Google account?
Recipients are not required to have a Google account, nor are they required to install anything. Each time a submission is made on your form, an email is sent to your recipients with a unique link to respond directly from their email without having to log in.
In addition, unlike other add-ons, recipients are not required to have access to your Google Form or linked Google Sheet.
Note however, we are committed to data privacy, so any functionality of the add-on that displays form response data on our webpage (e.g the Recipient Portal) will require the recipient to authenticate using a Google account.
How do I change the administrator?
Add-ons are activated on an individual user's account. Therefore, to change the add-on administrator, you need to deactivate the add-on from your account and activate it on the new administrator's account. Also, you need to make sure the new administrator has access to all files associated with your form.
Always ensure you are signed in with only one Google account when using Google add-ons. Opening add-ons when logged into multiple accounts can lead to unexpected results.
Deactivating the add-on:
- Sign out of all Google accounts
- Sign back in with the original account that set up the add-on
- Open your Google Form(s), then open the add-on
- Click Settings, then click Account, then toggle the add-on OFF
Reactivating the add-on:
- Ask the new administrator to sign out of their Google accounts also
- Sign in with new add-on administrator account
- If this is the first time using Form Approvals, install the add-on.
- Open the Google Form(s), then open the add-on.
- Click Settings, then click Account, then toggle the add-on ON
Transferring file ownership:
- Give the new administrator owner level access to your Google Form
- Give the new administrator owner level access to the Google Sheet that is linked to your form
- If you have a File Upload question in your form, give the new administrator owner level access to the folder which captures file uploads.
The above process needs to be done on each form that is connected to the add-on.
Please note, the Form Approvals support team cannot transfer file ownership for you since we do not have access to any of your files.
The administrator cannot be transferred if you have reached your quota for the month.
If you have purchased an Individual plan subscription using the original add-on administrator's account, once you have performed the above steps email firstname.lastname@example.org with the details of the old and new email addresses, asking for the subscription to be transferred.
If you have purchased a Team plan subscription, head to our subscription page and make sure the new administrator's email address is listed as an Admin user on your Team subscription. Admin users can be added or removed directly from our subscription page by the person who originally purchased the subscription.
What notification emails are sent by the add-on?
- Requestor Notification - If 'Collect email addresses' is enabled in your Google Form settings, the person submitting the request will receive a notification confirming receipt of their request.
- Recipient Notification - each time a form submission is made, the first recipient(s) will receive a notification with details of the request and links to action the request. Once they have responded, a notification will be sent to the second recipient (if any), and so on.
- Approved / Declined / More Info Required / Cancelled - These notifications state the outcome of the request and are sent to the requestor if 'Collect email addresses' is enabled in your Google Form settings. These notifications will also be sent to recipients with role 'Receives a Copy' if they are in the final position of the workflow. See FAQ 'How do I notify users when the workflow is complete?' for more information.
Can the language and timezone be changed?
The timezone is taken from the settings of the spreadsheet linked to your Google Form. To change the timezone refer to this Google support article.
Paid users can also change the language of email notifications. To change the language, update the language (locale) in your spreadsheet settings. Refer to this Google support article for how to change the locale. The add-on will translate the items on email notifications that are not customizable using the Email Editor. Use the Email Editor to then change the remaining content as you require. Learn more about personalizing notifications using the Email Editor.
Can requestors or recipients edit a form submission?
Yes, the add-on administrator can enable two settings which will enable this:
- To include an 'Edit response' link on the 'Requestor Notification' sent to requestors, enable 'Edit after submit' (in your Google Form settings) and then re-save your settings within the add-on for it to take effect.
- To include an 'Edit response' link on the email notification sent to recipients, within the add-on, under 'other recipient settings', set the role of the recipient to 'Needs to Edit'.
My recipients or I are receiving an error message.
Common error messages include:
- You need permission (to access a file)
- Something isn't quite right, please try again in a few minutes.
- There was a problem: The add-on does not have sufficient authorization to run
- ScriptError: Authorization is required to perform that action
- Error: Logged in with multiple Google accounts. Sign in with one account only.
Refer to our troubleshooting support article for guidance on how to avoid the above errors.