Below are answers to the most common questions.
How do I purchase a subscription?
To purchase a subscription, open your Google Form, click the puzzle piece icon, click Form Approvals, then open the add-on. Once the add-on opens, go to the Settings tab, then Account tab, then click the yellow Upgrade plan button.
For subscription related questions, please refer to the frequently asked questions at the bottom of our pricing page or email our friendly support team at email@example.com
How do I notify users when the workflow is complete?
- To notify the requestor when the workflow is complete (i.e approved by all recipients) or ends early (i.e is declined, cancelled or more info is requested), enable 'Collect email addresses' in your Google Form settings.
- To notify recipients when the workflow is complete (i.e approved by all recipients), enable 'Notify recipients when complete' within the 'Settings' tab of the add-on.
- To notify recipients when the workflow ends early (i.e is declined, cancelled or more info is requested), enable 'Notify recipients when ends early' within the 'Settings' tab of the add-on. This will notify recipients that have already responded and recipients with role type Receives a Copy.
- To notify specific recipients when the workflow is complete (i.e approved by all recipients), add a new recipient, then change the role type to 'Receives a Copy', then set the receiving order to the last level of the workflow. For example, if you have a workflow already set up with one recipient, set the receiving order of the new recipient to 2.
What is the difference between a requestor and recipient?
Within our documentation, we refer to 'requestor' and 'recipient' quite often:
- The requestor is the person completing the form submission (initiating the request).
- The recipient is the person receiving and responding to the request. The recipient may have one of the following roles: 'Needs to Approve', 'Needs to Recommend', 'Needs to Acknowledge', 'Needs to Action', 'Needs to Edit' or 'Receives a Copy'. Learn more about recipient role types.
Does a recipient need a Google account?
Recipients are not required to have a Google account, nor are they required to install anything. Each time a submission is made on your form, an email is sent to your recipients with a unique link to respond directly from their email without having to log in.
In addition, unlike other add-ons, recipients are not required to have access to your Google Form or linked Google Sheet.
Note however, we are committed to data privacy, so any functionality of the add-on that displays form response data on our webpage (e.g the Recipient tracking page) will require the recipient to authenticate themselves using a Google account.
How do I change the administrator?
Add-ons are activated on an individual user's account. Therefore, to change the add-on administrator, you need to deactivate the add-on from your account and activate it on the new administrator's account. Also, you need to make sure the new administrator has access to all files associated with your form.
Always ensure you are only signed in with one Google account when using add-ons. Opening add-ons when logged into multiple accounts leads to unexpected results.
Deactivating the add-on:
- Sign out of all Google accounts
- Sign back in with the original account that set up the add-on
- Open your Google Form(s), then open the add-on
- Click Settings, then click Account, then toggle the add-on OFF
Reactivating the add-on:
- Ask the new administrator to sign out of their Google accounts also
- Sign in with new add-on administrator account
- If this is the first time they are using Form Approvals, install the add-on.
- Open the Google Form(s), then open the add-on.
- Click Settings, then click Account, then toggle the add-on ON
Transferring file ownership:
- Give the new administrator owner level access to your Google Form
- Give the new administrator owner level access to the Google Sheet that is linked to your form
- If you have a File Upload question in your form, give the new administrator owner level access to the folder which captures file uploads.
- If you include attachments in your notifications, give the new administrator
owner level access to the attachment templates and ask the new administrator
- Open the add-on
- Click Settings > Email Editor
- When the Email Editor opens, click Other > then set up the attachment(s) again
The above process needs to be done on each form that is connected to the add-on.
Please note, the Form Approvals support team cannot transfer file ownership for you since we do not have access to any of your files.
The administrator cannot be transferred if you have reached your quota for the month.
If you have purchased an Individual plan subscription using the original add-on administrator's account, once you have performed the above steps email firstname.lastname@example.org with the details of the old and new email addresses, asking for the subscription to be transferred.
If you have purchased a Team plan subscription, and need to add / remove a Team member from your account, head to our subscription page. For further details, refer to this support article.
What notification emails are sent by the add-on?
- Requestor Confirmation - If 'Collect email addresses' is enabled in your Google Form settings, the person submitting the request will receive a notification confirming receipt of their request.
- Recipient Notification - each time a form submission is made, the first recipient(s) will receive a notification with details of the request and links to action the request. Once they have responded, a notification will be sent to the second recipient (if any), and so on.
- Approved / Declined / More Info Required / Cancelled - These notifications state the outcome of the request and are sent to the requestor if 'Collect email addresses' is enabled in your Google Form settings. These notifications will also be sent to recipients with role 'Receives a Copy' if they are in the final position of the workflow. See FAQ 'How do I notify users when the workflow is complete?' for more information.
Can I restart a workflow request from the beginning?
If a recipient has incorrectly responded to a request or you have changed your workflow settings and need a request to re-route based on your new settings, you can restart a workflow request from the beginning, by following these steps:
- Open your Google Form
- In your Google Form settings, make sure you have Edit after submit enabled and all settings under Requires sign-in disabled. These settings can be changed back after the next steps have been completed.
- From your Google Form, click the Responses tab
- Go to the Detailed Approval Records tab
- Locate the Request # that you want reset
- Grab the Edit Response URL from column G
- Click through and re-submit the request.
Can the language and timezone be changed?
The timezone is taken from the settings of the spreadsheet linked to your Google Form. To change the timezone refer to this Google support article.
Users can also change the language of email notifications. To change the language, update the language (locale) in your spreadsheet settings. Refer to this Google support article for how to change the locale. The add-on will translate the items on email notifications that are not customizable using the Email Editor. Use the Email Editor to then change the remaining content as you require. Learn more about personalizing notifications using the Email Editor.
How does the add-on treat edits to a form submission?
Google Forms does not allow add-ons to prevent edits to a form submission. Google Forms also does not provide any information on who made the edit. Therefore, the add-on handles edits in the following ways:
- If you have a recipient in your workflow with the role type Needs to Edit and the request is currently awaiting their response, the add-on will accept the edit, and proceed to the next recipient.
- If you do not have a recipient in your workflow with the role type Needs to Edit or the request is awaiting the response of any other recipient, the add-on will assume the edit was made by the requestor and restart the workflow, sending the request back to the first recipient. The add-on does this to maintain the integrity of the process, ensuring requestors cannot change the request without it having to be re-approved. When the workflow restarts, the add-on will increment the Revision # (e.g Request #5 will become Request #5/1 where 1 represents the revision number).
My recipients or I are receiving an error message.
Common error messages include:
- drive.google.com refused to connect
- You need permission (to access a file)
- Something isn't quite right, please try again in a few minutes.
- There was a problem: The add-on does not have sufficient authorization to run
- ScriptError: Authorization is required to perform that action
- Error: Logged in with multiple Google accounts. Sign in with one account only.
Refer to our troubleshooting support article for guidance on how to avoid the above errors.